POST instead of GET for associate mode?

Paul Crowley paul at ciphergoth.org
Thu Jun 9 15:31:42 PDT 2005

Nathan D. Bowen wrote:
> What I forgot was that it's only servers that already *produce* the
> weird format; consumers only have to implement parsing.

Actually, consumers do have to produce this format, in order to validate
signatures.

The reason we do things this way is this.  There's a standard format for
sending key/value pairs in a web request that every toolkit supports
well, so it's very convenient to use.  However, there's no standard
format in responses, and if we try and use the same format as for
requests then we may be deserted by our toolkits and wrestling with its
complexities ourselves.  So for responses we're just going for something
that's easy to produce and parse.  This format is also convenient for
signatures, so we use it there too.  It's not too bad, but it's unlikely
to be as convenient as the native support for x-www-form-urlencoded for
requests in any toolkit.
--
   __
\/ o\ Paul Crowley, paul at ciphergoth.org