query parameters in identity URLs

Brad Fitzpatrick brad at danga.com
Mon Jun 27 19:05:20 PDT 2005

Look here:

   http://www.livejournal.com/users/brad/2128127.html

See all the http://lafalafu.com/?******** URLs?

    http://lafalafu.com/?h
    http://lafalafu.com/?e
    http://lafalafu.com/?l
    http://lafalafu.com/?o
    http://lafalafu.com/?you're%20welcome%20:)

That's because most webservers will return the base URL for any query
parameters.

I remember not expicitly truncating query parameters because I was
anticipating identity URLs like:

   http://stupidsite.com/profile-page.aspx?guid=8sd787823-234-234-234-23d3

But I hadn't considered it as the lafalafu.com case above.

What should we do about it?

The easiest thing to do, to prevent casual abuse, is:

  <link rel='openid.self' href='http://base.com/url.html' />

(sure, they can make their domain do whatever they want, though, which is
why I say _casual_ abuse)

Which is only required for a legitimate URL with a query string.  URLs
without query strings don't require that.

But I don't want more link rels.

The other easy thing to do is just say identity URLs can't have query
strings.

Thoughts?

- Brad