Dealing with renames

Ben Hyde bhyde at pobox.com
Sun May 29 15:06:11 PDT 2005

Interesting questions.  What a marvelous mess!

Identity URL's accumulate rights, reputation, etc.  Moving, copy,
linking those will need the participation of validating server.   Users
might like to get a 'title' to their identity URL from the validating
server which they can present to effect some of these operations.
That 'title' might be long lived so they can get it in January and use
it in September after the validating server has gone bust, evil, or
whatever.

Recycling id's is messy.  It can be ameliorated just a bit if the
assertions signed by the validating servers are enhanced to include a
unique # that is different for every customer.  That way the consumers
of those assertions can distinguish a URL owned by customer A in time
period 1 from the same URL owned by customer B in time period 2.
Note the design is delicate; the unique # needs to be designed so it
doesn't enable outsiders to link N ID that happen to be owned by the
same customer.

That trick helps only if the community looks inside the assertions; but
they don't - they look only at the ID url.  So it's not a silver
bullet.

There is a another case.  Where the ID URL's vouching server switches
from voucher X to voucher Y.

    - ben