General things to consider

Martin Atkins mart at degeneration.co.uk
Wed Nov 2 04:46:43 PST 2005

Zefiro wrote:
[bunch of stuff]

> And it would be nice if, apart from all visionary thinking, it would still be possible to do 'just easy single-signon', without
> any more fany extras :)

I think you've misinterpreted what we're talking about here.

YADIS isn't single sign on. It's not profile exchange. It's not
user-accompanied RPC.

YADIS is a mechanism for having a single identity endpoint and hiding
behind it a selection of capabilities. What those capabilities are is
not in YADIS's scope.

OpenID doesn't go away. YADIS is an additional layer on top of OpenID.
The signon bit underneath will remain unchanged. In practice, I'd guess
that old OpenID users would also go on including the openid.server and
openid.delegate links in documents for back-compat, so clued-in
consumers would be able to bypass YADIS altogether in many cases.

While it's true that YADIS as currently specced features a profile
exchange capability, I'm arguing that it should not be there as it's
outside of the scope of YADIS, so I'm just pretending it isn't there for
the purposes of this discussion. :)