XRID proposal for YADIS - Opinions anybody?

Drummond Reed drummond.reed at cordance.net
Mon Nov 7 13:14:45 PST 2005

Just to clarify one thing (which both Ben and Lukas asked about):

In this proposal, there is NO requirement or connection to using XRIs or XRI
resolution to address the YADIS document. You can use OpenID or LID or
another other URL you want to retreive it.

The point of synergy is that all of these would point to the same type of
discovery document in the same format. This is the reason the idea of using
XRID as the service/capabilities description format came up is that when
Johannes & David first brought up YADIS with us. We immediately saw that
YADIS service discovery step was exactly like the same step in XRI
resolution that retreives an XRID. This is especially true since an XRI gets
turned into an HTTP URL during XRI resolution.

We then realized that there was no need to start with an XRI to request an
XRID -- you could request it with any URL assigned to it, so OpenID and LID
URLs would work perfectly.

And since XRIDs need the same simple, generalized service description format
as YADIS, that's when we realized the potential synergy of using the same
description format for both YADIS and XRI resolution.

The XRI TC was very receptive to this on the calls we had last week, so
that's why we're going down this road. But again, there is no requirement
whatsoever to use XRIs to retrieve an XRID/YADIS document. The synergy
really comes down to:

Any other identity URL--->|-------> YADIS discovery document/XRID
Any other discovery URI-->|

=Drummond