extension not service - I

Josh Hoyt josh at janrain.com
Wed Apr 5 18:34:30 UTC 2006

On 4/5/06, Joaquin Miller <joaquin at netmesh.us> wrote:
>  Is there some way,  that is already part of our shared English language, to
> distinguish an extension from a service?
>  Or, if not, is there some way of making the distinction that everyone would
> consider unarguable?
>
>  Even if ready general acceptance might not follow, is there a criterion for
> making the distinction, which can be stated succinctly and applied without
> uncertainty or ambiguity?

There is really no sharp distinction. It's debatable whether OpenID
with an extension is really the same type as OpenID with a different
extension. I *do* think that it's clearer what's going on using an
explicit openid:Extension tag, though. And that's really the reason
that we proposed it that way.

Josh