OpenID 1.2 Extensions Proposal

Johannes Ernst jernst+lists.danga.com at netmesh.us
Wed Apr 5 20:09:59 UTC 2006

On Apr 5, 2006, at 12:53, Jonathan Daugherty wrote:
> # I happen to agree with you -- but then you need to admit that the
> # idea of creating a new XML tag that allows you to represent "sreg is
> # an extension of OpenID and not of something else" is inherently
> # flawed, regardless of how it is expressed ;-)
>
> The presence of the tag does not state that it *is* an extension, but
> merely that it is *supported* by the service in question.

The presence of the tag does indeed say that ... but by proposing the
particular place in the XRDS file where you want to put the tag, you
are *also* saying that the extension has a dependency on OpenID, not
just that this particular concrete service offers additional
capabilities.

If you didn't want to express the latter information, you could put
the tag anywhere in the file, not just as a child of the OpenID
service specification -- but I didn't think you were proposing that.

But then, maybe I misread -- in which case, are you essentially
proposing the same that Drummond just did, you only happened to
select different XML mechanisms/tag names/structures from the openid
namespace, instead of a general-purpose namespace?

Cheers,

Johannes.

Johannes Ernst
NetMesh Inc.