OpenID, YADIS and Directed Identity

Fen Laballme fen at 2idi.com
Mon Feb 13 08:54:17 UTC 2006

There are some interesting cryptographic properties that you can attach
to a set of nyms that can help to minimize data correlation (real person
triangulation).  I describe a few of these in an unpublished (and never
really completed) paper that may offer some useful insights at
<http://www.openprivacy.org/papers/200104-repcap.html>.  I reproduce the
most relevant section here:

Nym Properties

Privacy is ensured through the use of Nyms that have some very special
properties. Given

    * T = (Trusted) Parent Nym that can create Child Nyms
    * Ci, Cj and Ck are a set of child Nyms created by the same parent T
    * Ei is a child Nym from another parent

We can show:

   1. Ci, Cj, and Ck cannot prove that T is their Parent
   2. Ci, Cj, and Ck cannot prove they are siblings
   3. T can separately prove parenthood of Ci and/or Cj
         1. without also leaking information about any other siblings,
            e.g. Ck
   4. T can anonymously prove Ci and Cj are siblings
         1. without also leaking information about any other siblings,
            e.g. Ck
         2. and without leaking information that points to T as C's parent
   5. T cannot prove anything about E

=Fen