Simplifying OpenId

S. Alexander Jacobson alex at alexjacobson.com
Mon Jan 9 20:04:34 UTC 2006

> if (3), then why not just document <link rel= ...> tags and each protocol can
> work on solving all the issues in their own way?

On reflection, I don't get the use of <link rel...> tags and homepage
URLs.  Email addresses already the de-facto Internet standard for user
identity.  We should be enhancing use of this namespace rather than
creating new ones.  Here is the obvious protocol for authenticating
email addresses:

   1. User supplies email address to consumer site.

   2. Consumer site looks up UserId DNS record for email address domain name.
      (Note: I don't think UserId records need to have priorities like MX
       records)

   3. If UserId record is absent/broken, send email with a validation URL.
      If UserID DNS record is present, consumer site posts to UserID_URL:

      POST UserID_URL
      content-type: application/x-www-form-urlencoded

      email=user at domain&is_email=is_email_url

      201 CREATED
      Location: redirectURL

   4. Consumer redirects user to redirectURL and grants authentication
      if it receives a GET is_email_url

Advocacy:

* All internet users have email addresses. Users without email
   addresses can safely be ignored.

* Email addresses designed to be easy to type (much less
   punctuation!).  URLs are really verbose for manually entered data.
   (If you don't require http:// or https:// in URLs then you open up
    substantial ambiguity!)

* Email addresses imply both identity and authentication.  Homepages
   imply nothing.  Expecting most users to understand the difference
   between homepages with appropriate link tags and homepages that
   don't seems lik a tall order.

* Most users do NOT currently have homepages.  Users without homepages
   need to be supported.  Absent URI or email addresses, there is no
   global namespace.  Per site identity namespace fragmentation limits
   interoperability.

* DNS is designed for exactly this sort of directory lookup.  Multiple
   link tags in ill-formed HTML create interesting opportunities for
   ambiguity.  Moreover, requiring that homepages be HTML is just poor
   design.  We should not prohibit flash homepages or pages with
   some other XML content-type styled by XSLT to generate HTML.

-Alex-

S. Alexander Jacobson tel:917-770-6565 http://alexjacobson.com