The Yadis protocol vs. The user experience

Joaquin Miller joaquin at netmesh.us
Tue Jun 6 17:12:24 UTC 2006

>>>Jonathan Daugherty wrote: What if https://example.com  and
>>>http://example.com  *both* work and return totally different content?
>
>>Joaquin Miller wrote: Seems like an excellent scenario to me:  I'll
>>tell you this if the channel is secure, but only that if it is not.
>
>"But only that" implies that the response is not totally different,
>or do you refer to the URI as the means of identification and similarity?

I did not mean to imply that the responses were not totally
different.  Nor did i mean to imply that they were totally
different.  Nor did i mean to imply that they were not exactly the
same.  I only meant that distinct identifiers enable returning
different data.  I could have been more clear about that.

But, putting that aside:  The Yadis spec is clear that these are two
distinct identifiers.  So they might identify two entirely different
people (or things) or they might be synonyms for the same person (or
thing).  If synonyms, they might be sued to get the same services and
data, overlapping, or disjoint.

3.2 Definitions from other specifications
This Specification makes use of the following terms as defined in the
indicated specifications:
URL           RFC 3986 1.1.3

6.2.1 Yadis ID
A Yadis ID is a identifier used by one or more Yadis Services. A
Yadis ID MAY be a URL; it MUST be
an identifier that is resolvable to a URL.

6.2.2 Yadis URL
If a Yadis ID is a URL, it is a Yadis URL; if it is not a URL, the
URL to which it resolves is the
corresponding Yadis URL. The scheme name of a Yadis URL must be
'http' or 'https'.

[If the Yadis spec is not clear that these are two distinct Yadis
IDs, the following is certain:
     It is intended to be clear.
     It needs to be fixed so it is clear.
]