Identity 2.0

David Recordon david at sixapart.com
Wed Mar 1 20:15:44 UTC 2006

> The model you describe below is what I would call a "pull" model,
> where Amazon is pulling the data from your identifier. I'm a proponent
> of the "push" model, where the user sees what Amazon is asking for,
> and can select which information to release.

In that example I'm not sure the terms are mutually exclusive.  Just as in the push model the user can be prompted with the requested information and be required to authorize it, the same can happen in the pull model.  Amazon requests my information from LiveJournal, LJ tells me what they want and asks me to authorize it.  To the user, how is this different than what you describe as the push model?

Sounds to me like the three of us are talking about a push model...really the pull model comes into play if for example your profile server returned your email address to any requestor with no intervention on your part.

--David