how different is OpenID from SXIP?

Josh Hoyt josh at janrain.com
Wed Mar 15 15:57:43 UTC 2006

On 3/15/06, John Merrells <merrells at sxip.com> wrote:
> The discovery phase of the protocol is based
> on the user providing the name of their 'homesite' rather than
> providing their identifier, which has privacy advantages for the
> end user.

It is easy to add another level of indirection to LID or OpenID or any
other URL-based identity system. I do not consider this a significant
difference at all.

Also, I believe users will usually want to identify themselves by
their *identifier* (URL) rather than the name of a particular service
provider. I think this is a big usability issue. It is also true that
SXIP can be modified to allow entering the identity URL *or* the
homesite URL, and I think that it should, if it is meant to be a
solution for the masses.

Josh