Proposal: SMTP service extension for Yadis discovery

Dmitry Shechtman damnian at gmail.com
Mon Feb 5 17:42:13 UTC 2007

David,

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this.

> If I am wrong, then there's nothing wrong with transforming an email to an
> OpenId Endpoint url (using the root domain of the email).

That would require a rule for such a transform. Should it be
http://example.com/bob@example.com? Or maybe http://example.com/~bob? So an
explicit resolution protocol is required. Why not deploy a plain SMTP
extension?

> Isn't there already an established methodology for getting an email
> address from an XRI?

There is, although I don't think any sound person would advertise his/her
email. Anyway, we are after email-to-XRI, not the other way around.

> Sorry for the ambiguity.

That was my mistake, hence I'm the one who should apologize.

Regards,
Dmitry
=damnian