The new bot code

Artur Bergman sky at crucially.net
Fri Jul 7 18:30:51 UTC 2006

On Jul 6, 2006, at 11:14 AM, Martin Atkins wrote:

> Brad Fitzpatrick wrote:
>> I happen to know that Jabber clients (and often users) don't
>> always work.
>> "Service Discovery"?  You just lost most users.
>
> So you're going to force the bot onto everyone's roster just in
> case they want to post to LJ from Jabber for some reason?
>
>> brad:  Hi.  Who are you?  I didn't friend you.
>> frankthegoat at livejournal.com:  Hi.  I'm the LJ Robotic Goat,
>> Frank, here to help you.
>> brad:  What's up?
>> frankthegoat at livejournal.com:  I don't understand.  Type "help"
>> for help.
>> brad:  I need help.
>> frankthegoat at livejournal.com:
>> brad:
>>  post to lj_dev:  OMG this is my post to lj_dev from Jabber
>> etc, etc.
>> And we also let people friend it rom gmail/etc, then let you prove
>> two
>> JIDs are equal.....
>
> Or:
>
> * In Jabber client menu, choose "New Message".
> * Type recipient as lj_dev at post.livejournal.com
> * Type some subject line
> * Type the body.
> * Hit send.
>
> Not that difficult. Since the user is an @livejournal.com JID the
> registration step can be bypassed.
>
> Note that there's no real reason why you can't put
> username at post.livejournal.com on the user's roster by default, with
> the display name "Post to your Journal!", thus making it even
> easier than your above example, since they won't have to figure out
> the wacky commands first.

There are a different number of things being discussed here.

A lot of the bot code is generic component stuff I guess, but we
should write the specific cases first and then move up one step. Also
there is nothing that says you can't service discover any jid, the
jid for post.livejournal.com and post at livejournl.com are both
discoverable, however I have serious doubts that post.livejournal.com
as a jid will work well. username at post.livejournal.com will, but to
implement a component for an entire domain and for an specific
username is rather different.

For an entire domain, just hijack local delivery and do whatever you
want with it.

I am not opposed to username at post.livejournal.com being available,
but I want a normal bot for people to chatter to.

I am completely going to remove the subdomain code so a subdomain
actually ends up being a different server, and then let you config
discovery pointers to subdomains if you want to.

Artur