Some questions

Martin Atkins mart at degeneration.co.uk
Wed Nov 19 17:40:42 UTC 2008

Tamas wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Right I found Djabberd and seems very promising. I use ejabberd at the
> moment but I have faced to some difficulties and would like to ask
> whether djabberd is better on that part or not.

> I use several virtual hosts on the jabber proxy and there is a need to
> add new vhosts dynamically without interrupting the communication - thus
> without restarting the daemon process. Unfortunately ejabberd cannot add
> new virtualhosts on the fly. Can djabberd do this?

The server as it comes does not have any way to do this, but internally
the API supports it so it may be possible to add this ability with a
plugin. I don't think it's possible to *remove* vhosts dynamically, however.

> Sometimes subscribers share they credential details (they shouldn't but,
> you know...) and over-registrate each other somethimes which makes
> troubles. I would like to block the 2nd and further registration
> attempts in favor of the 1st subscriber. Is it doable with djabberd?

I'm not sure what your requirement is here, I'm afraid. However, in-band
registration and de-registration is something we expose in the plugin
API so you can make a plugin that controls this using any logic you wish.

> ejabberd has some clustering features - which I don't use at the
> moment. Does djabberd support something in the HA field?

There is currently no clustering support in DJabberd, unfortunately.
This was planned but not actually implemented. There is some code in the
repository that implements parts of this, but as far as I'm aware it's
not complete enough to use.