not-authorized error during dialback authentication with gmail.com

Pedro Melo melo at simplicidade.org
Sun Feb 8 15:54:48 UTC 2009

Hi

On Feb 8, 2009, at 10:15 AM, Christian Huldt wrote:

> I would guess that the servers not working with the code require
> something special there, i.e. none existing <stream:features> does not
> say anything, while empty <stream:features> say there is absolutely
> nothing there...
>
> Like the zlib example at
> http://xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0138.html#usecase
>
> compared to the statement that zlib compression is required at
> http://xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0138.html#mandatory
>
> (OK I'm not sure what I am talking about as I'm not that well versed
> in
> XMPP)

The problem here is a bit different.

The correct initial <stream:stream> for the old Jabber protocol is
just this:

<stream:stream
    xmlns:stream='http://etherx.jabber.org/streams'
    xmlns='jabber:server'
    xmlns:db='jabber:server:dialback'>

Notice that it lacks version='1.0'.

If you send this, GTalk will not send you <features>, and you can
follow with the flow described in 3920, section 8.

But during the 3920bis process, the dialback section was removed and
published as XEP-0220. If you look at that spec, you will see that it
now uses a complete XMPP <stream:stream> with the proper version='1.0'.

http://xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0220.html

In that case the receiving server will send back a <features> with the
dialback namespace.

The proper response is not to your own features, but to proceed to the
dialback process.

So the code should be disabled.

Best regards,