memcached and epoll vs. select

Sergio Salvatore sergiosalvatore at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 15 14:00:06 PST 2005

Dear All,

I've been testing memcached on a cluster of RedHat ES3
boxes for a few weeks now without incident (PHP mcache
C API).  ES3's kernel (2.4.21) apparently contains
some backported stuff from the 2.6 series, but not
epoll, which according to the documentation with
memcached, seems practically necessary.

My questions is, is epoll actually "necessary" or is
it simply an optimization?  The benefits of epoll are
clear, however, I'm not particularly psyched to
rebuild the OS on all my web servers and standard
select() seems to be working OK in my tests.  My
application is not seeing LiveJournal-type loads, so
would I be safe (as in no crashes) by skipping epoll?
Has anybody tried this in production?

Thanks in advance!

/sergio