java memcached client & tomcat

David O'Dell dodell at corp.meez.com
Wed Feb 7 17:36:47 UTC 2007

We just deployed memcached to our tomcats last night.
We have 6 webs running apache/tomcat with 5 memcached instances in the
pool.
Each instance has 1gb of space and already we have 20,000 items cached
taking up 2.5 gb of space.

One surprise was the increase in load on the webs due to the network IO.
I expected the load to increase but its more than doubled.

Does anyone know if this it normal?