BRAINSTORMING NEEDED: Memcached Slowing Machine

Steven Grimm sgrimm at facebook.com
Mon Feb 26 22:43:06 UTC 2007

When the machine slows down, how much free physical memory does the
machine have? Is the entire memcached process memory-resident, or has
the OS started to swap it out? The instant memcached starts having to
swap, its performance plummets. The behavior you describe is consistent
with a memcached instance growing larger than the available physical
memory over time. When you restart it, it would start small again and
not need to swap.

-Steve