Extensible command syntax

Dustin Sallings dustin at spy.net
Tue Nov 6 21:05:30 UTC 2007

On Nov 6, 2007, at 12:43 , dormando wrote:

> Proof of concept, I think. He said it was based off of libevent's
> http service.

	Ah, it's all coming back to me now.

> Honestly I'd rather make perlbal/etc speak memcached on one end than
> make memcached speak http to another, but that's just me? :)

	Having it speak HTTP isn't so bad itself, it's just that it's a steep
cliff over a bottomless pit so that you fall pretty quickly, but die
of starvation before ever reaching the end.

	By that, I mean it'd end up going the way of every other web server
very quickly.  It's neat that you can access stuff via HTTP, and it's
pretty good, so I'll have it outward facing.  Then people start asking
about access controls, logging, proxying so it can self-seed or maybe
read from files.  Next thing you know you've got SSL and webdav support.

	I'm sort of in the don't-care-either-way camp, but I don't have
interest in working on it.

--
Dustin Sallings