Extensible command syntax

dormando dormando at rydia.net
Tue Nov 6 23:29:01 UTC 2007

>     I'm sort of in the don't-care-either-way camp, but I don't have
> interest in working on it.

How much work do you think it'd be to make the protocol more pluggable?
I don't feel comfortable making a lot of these ideas part of the primary
distribution. Given large install folks might try it then realize it is
in fact incredibly slow.

But people want to try, and we could make it easier for them to maintain
out of tree plugins. Brian's also been hinting at pluggable backend
support (which looks fairly easy, lacking time).

Hmm :)

Sorry for derailing the original topic, but this appears to be the
problem worth discussing :) I agree with what Dustin/etc saying in that
extending the binary protocol isn't a big deal. Making the commands all
"meta" would overload the fact that the binary protocol is already very
meta, and small commands just seem to be a better idea for maintenance.

-Dormando