binary protocol motivations

Dustin Sallings dustin at spy.net
Mon Nov 12 08:17:41 UTC 2007

On Nov 11, 2007, at 23:31, Axel wrote:

> Can someone provide a quick summary/bullet points of the motivations
> behind providing a binary API, or direct me to a web page or mailing
> list message that lists motivations?  (I tried searching my folder for
> this mailing list, but references to the binary protocol abound).

	The primary goal, as I understand it, is to reduce parsing overhead
which has been shown to be computationally expensive in certain
installations.

	We also ended up with a protocol that is more simple to implement
(although my perspective may be skewed after having written servers in
c and python and clients in python and java) and more efficient on the
wire (we don't ever return keys for get requests, for example).

--
Dustin Sallings