binary protocol motivations

Marc marc at facebook.com
Mon Nov 12 22:43:11 UTC 2007

For the record, my motivation for a binary protocol was not computational
efficiency but more efficient I/O, especially for large sets of small keys
with small values, AND to reduce code complexity.  The problem with the
existing protocol is not so much that it is ASCII as it is that it is
inconsistently structured.  There is no explicit length for error or stats
messages.  Replies to ³incr² and ³decr² ops are raw digits with no preceding
fixed-length token.  The special case code to handle these cases is more
complicated than common messages, and, in the case of errors and stats, very
difficult to test.  A well-formed binary protocol allows us to handle the
packing and unpacking of wire messages with very little special case code
and make it possible to write regression tests can cover all possible
scenarios.

The addition of a key ³id² is really a big win for reducing network traffic.
IIRC that was Dustin¹s suggestion.