Java Library + Consistent Hashing

Dustin Sallings dustin at spy.net
Thu Nov 15 21:32:53 UTC 2007

On Nov 15, 2007, at 12:32 , Rakesh Rajan wrote:

> - Regarding binary protocol, are there any restriction on the server
> version ( on development machine I am running a windows port 1.2.1
> and on production, it is 1.2.2 )?  If so, which is the server
> version that I should be using ? ( I remember seeing some mails
> about binary protocol in server in this list, but not sure if it is
> released / in svn ).

	There's not a released binary protocol implementation from danga yet.

	I maintain a branch with it currently that is tracking development
(although recent changes have led to a bug I haven't tracked down yet
-- might need a day or two to get time for that).

	If you want to play with it, I can help you get it up and running.

> - I see that the binary protocol is present in 2.0 pre release
> branch. Are you planning to get a release out any time soon ?

	My release is dependent on a server release, so I'm just holding it
in pre-release until then.

> - I really like the fact that the library tries to perform some
> optimization on storing some native objects. Have you also looked at
> these optimizations ?
>             -> Collection of native object
>             -> Class containing native objects

	I'm not sure what you mean by that.  Do you mean a single object
under a single key, or referencing multiple keys from the server(s)?

	For the former, the default transcoder should be fine.  For the
latter, it'd be tough because some of the collection can disappear and
it'd be spread across multiple servers.

> - Regarding the feature, "There is only one thread for all
> processing" (mentioned in the website), does this apply even in case
> when I run my server in multi-threaded mode ( I have a dual proc
> machine and planning to run with thread = 2 )

	Yes.  I doubt you'd notice it, but that were an issue you could just
start two clients and access them via round robin (which sort of goes
back to that interface thing I was talking about).

> - This is out of topic, but does any one know when is the next
> release of memcached server happening?

	1.2.4 is imminent, but isn't a particularly exciting release for me.

--
Dustin Sallings