Hardware for MogileFS

Bryn Forbes bryn at mrpath.com
Wed Oct 26 12:10:07 PDT 2005

We were considering doing the same thing (except with smaller servers).
One way to avoid the having to build a bunch of boxes, would be to
purchase lacie's Ethernet disks. They have 2TB for much closer to $1/GB.
However, the disadvantage is that they are running embedded xp, but the
thought was the os could be overwritten potentially.

Of course if you are building your own, my experience has proven out
that you need to have spares. In building 60 boxes, we had about 5 with
"issues" and it was easier to plan on building 10-20% more capacity than
was needed.

Those cases scare me from a heat/power density perspective. Also, you're
going to run in to issues with multiple cards in a system being a more
complicated (and thus less tested, less reliable) than a simple sata or
ide controller on a smaller system (fewer drives per motherboard).

Anyway, just a couple random thoughts.

Bryn