Types of access control for clients

dormando dormando at rydia.net
Sun Feb 10 20:53:52 UTC 2008

Jay K wrote:
> HI Dormando,
>
> Thanks.  That's kind of the conclusion I came to with my reading thus
> far.
>
> Am I right in thinking that if I wanted to add access control it'd
> have to be in both the tracker and the storage daemon?
>
> If I were to undertake a simple access control patch / hook would it
> be something that the dev team might be interested in integrating?
> Mostly wondering if others have interest in access control
> functionality.

A set of appropriate hooks (and an example plugin) could be acceptable.
We don't typically do this due to the possibly significant required
overhead, especially on the mogstored's... There'll be a few things to
consider:

- Mogilefs protocol doesn't have a handshake, and mogstored's just
perlbal. The mogstored is also single-processed. So you might end up
with a request_token command or some crazy hook situation.
- It'll be important to cache the info on the storage node.
- Maybe you just want to use DAV for the mogstored's?

Dunno what else. Good luck :)

-Dormando