Types of access control for clients

Jay K jayk at ion0.com
Mon Feb 11 19:27:11 UTC 2008

Thanks.  I will investigate and if I come up with anything I think
will be of general use, I will most certainly post back.

Jay

On Feb 10, 2008, at 1:53 PM, dormando wrote:

> Jay K wrote:
>> HI Dormando,
>>
>> Thanks.  That's kind of the conclusion I came to with my reading thus
>> far.
>>
>> Am I right in thinking that if I wanted to add access control it'd
>> have to be in both the tracker and the storage daemon?
>>
>> If I were to undertake a simple access control patch / hook would it
>> be something that the dev team might be interested in integrating?
>> Mostly wondering if others have interest in access control
>> functionality.
>
> A set of appropriate hooks (and an example plugin) could be
> acceptable.
> We don't typically do this due to the possibly significant required
> overhead, especially on the mogstored's... There'll be a few things to
> consider:
>
> - Mogilefs protocol doesn't have a handshake, and mogstored's just
> perlbal. The mogstored is also single-processed. So you might end up
> with a request_token command or some crazy hook situation.
> - It'll be important to cache the info on the storage node.
> - Maybe you just want to use DAV for the mogstored's?
>
> Dunno what else. Good luck :)
>
> -Dormando

---
"May we not return to those scoundrels of old, the illustrious
founders of superstition and fanaticism, who first took the knife from
the altar to make victims of those who refused to be their disciples."
- Voltaire