identity as a URL instead of an email? hrmmmm

Johannes Ernst jernst+lists.danga.com at netmesh.us
Thu Mar 23 23:13:29 UTC 2006

However, we could conceivably come up with a mapping from mailto: to
REST-ful URL, just like we do with XRI.

For example, we could say "if user enters foo at bar.com, the
corresponding URL is http://bar.com/users/foo.html". (this may be a
bad mapping, but you get the idea)

Now personally I think URLs that can be entered into an (unmodified)
browser are much more powerful than mailto identifiers (or other
kinds of identifiers) for which that isn't possible, but I can
believe that others think otherwise ...

On Mar 23, 2006, at 10:39, Martin Atkins wrote:

> Granqvist, Hans wrote:
>>
>> If the Yadis system is frameworked to handle a few URI schemes,
>> let's say, http:// and mailto:, maybe via profiles, then it would
>> force a distinct definition of the content and mechanism inside
>> Yadis. Today it's all a bit muddled with the deps on cookies, for
>> example.
>>

> mailto: isn't really a "proper" URI scheme, it's just a hack that was
> added so that people could make email links on web pages. A mailto:
> url
> doesn't point at any kind of "resource" in the sense of something you
> can retrieve or manipulate. There are no possible "fetch"
> operations on
> a mailto: URL and thus YADIS can't possibly work with it.

Johannes Ernst
NetMesh Inc.